Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Black Cat Waiting for the Painter

I came across this cat during an early morning photo trek on Mykonos. It was a little bit after sunrise, and I wasn't having much luck finding 'good' cats to photograph until I saw this one relaxing on a white ledge in front of a painter's art studio.

As you can see near the upper right of the photo, the green door to the studio was locked. My thought was that maybe this cat was waiting for the studio to open, in hopes that the owner/operator might set out some food and water for him (this would not be at all surprising). Or maybe this guy was just resting for a while, plotting his strategy for the rest of the morning, or daydreaming about the mouse that got away, etc. Who knows?

Also, I was tempted to clean this guy up a bit in Photoshop, but then decided against it. The cat has bits of white/gray hairs mixed in with his black coat, dirt and sand on his face, and other 'beauty' issues that are so typical of the stray cats of Greece. Some are in really great shape, and others look pretty rough around the edges. This guy was in between, but still photogenic enough for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh - I like this one. Funny - we took some pictures of cats in Greece during our trip last year. http://feistync.wordpress.com/2008/07/05/european-cat-tales/ Check out this post about a trip specifically to help out Greek cats: http://feistync.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/humanitourism-helping-cats-and-dogs-in-greece/

David K. said...

Thanks... glad you liked it. I always enjoyed photographing the all-black cats. Nice pics in your blog too, and thanks also for the info about that upcoming trip to Greece. Wish I could join them!

Colin said...

Nice blog, really enjoyed seeing your photos, I have taken a lot of photos in rhodes over the years some are on my website. http://olivegrovevilla.co.uk

David K. said...

Colin - Thanks for your comment. Your villa on Rhodes looks very nice! Really enjoyed your wedding photos and story. My wife and I would love to visit Rhodes someday. Maybe we will contact you again when that time comes.

Have a great summer.